Photo courtesy Billy’s Original Foods
1 lb ground Italian sausage
1 lb ground beef
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can of water
4 T sugar
4 T dried oregano
1 lb lasagna noodles
16 oz ricotta cheese
24 oz mozzarella cheese
3 T salt
2 T pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook the sausage and beef over medium heat until brown and drain grease. Stir garlic and 2 T of oregano into meat mixture and place on low heat.
3. Bring a large pot of water with 1 T of salt to a rolling boil. Cook the noodles for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse with cold water, then set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, add tomato paste, tomato sauce, a can of water, sugar, 2 T of oregano, 2 T of salt and 2 T pepper. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. In a 9 X 13 metal pan layer as follows: Pour sauce mix to layer bottom of pan lightly to line the bottom. Cover bottom of pan and sauce with one layer of lasagna noodle. Layer ½ of meat mixture. Spread 8 oz of ricotta cheese, evenly. Sprinkle 8 oz of mozzarella cheese, evenly. Cover with one layer of lasagna noodles. Hand press the noodles down enough to ensure distribution of meat and cheese. Layer the remainder of the meat mixture. Spread 8 oz of ricotta cheese, evenly. Sprinkle 8 oz of mozzarella cheese, evenly. Cover with one layer of lasagna noodles. Hand press the noodles down to pack it and ensure a solid product. Top with 2 C of sauce mixture and 8 oz mozzarella cheese.
6. Cover with aluminum foil, leaving a little room on top so cheese is not pressed on the foil. Cook in preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and remove foil, then let cool for 15 minutes before cutting and/or serving.